Saturday, January 24, 2009

Playing Poker

This is my first post about poker. Although I live in Las Vegas and I love to play poker I don't make it to the poker rooms all that often. When I do play, I do not play in any cash games, I only play in tournaments. A few weeks back I decided to go play the nightly tournament at Sam's Town. It was my first time playing in about 6 months. There were about 30 entries and although I never had a big chip stack until the very end I somehow came in first place and won the $500+ prize. My most memorable hand was when we were down to the final 4 players and I was Big Blind. The remaining 4 players all had very close to the same chip stack. The person on the button went all in and I called with 5-5. He flipped over 8-8. I thought I was dead until a 5 hit on the flop. Just as I thought I would win that hand, an 8 came up on the turn and then I was dead again. That was until another 5 came up on the river to give me quads. I know I probably should not have called that hand but I felt that the all in bet was just a move to steal the blinds. This was the first time I ever came in first place in a tourny. I went back the next night and came in 3rd place and the night after I won my 2nd tournament. I have been back 3 times since and have not come close to placing. After winning those tournaments I thought I was better than I really am. I deposited some money into my full tilt account and the first couple day I won about $200 playing mostly single table sit and go's. I ended up losing back that $200 plus another $500 over the next few days and came to the conclusion that I won those tournaments at Sam's Town not because I am a good player but because I got very lucky. I will continue play a little here and there and with some more experience maybe I can become a better player.

No comments: